Thursday 28 November 2013

Planning for the Future

I'm not sure I have ever really planned for the future, just things I would like to do/achieve at some point in my life, buy a house, get married, get fit, start a family, you know the usual. It just seems that lately these things have to be added to a timeline, and given a slightly more specific deadline. Is that just part of getting older? Or is it just my current circumstances that are demanding a little more commitment that my usual meh if it happens it happens attitude.


I think it started when we fixed a date for the wedding, financial decisions have to be made to ensure we can cover everything, upto and after. This really hit home recently when I was offered a new job, when the offer was first made I was in no doubt I was ready for a new challenge, something different let's do it. This offer is only for a temporary position though, it would take us up to the wedding and then finish. Which in theory would be brilliant, but in actual fact what if I couldn't find another job after, that would really mess up our future plans. At which point I realised we had mapped out quite a chunk of our future already, scary!

Wedding - Honeymoon - Baby (Maternity) - Move to London (6 months) - Buy House

BIG financial commitments, the specific dates aren't set but I think we will have reached the end of the timeline in 2 -3 years, so can I really afford to take the risk at this time. Unfortunately I think the answer is no, so I guess I will have to stick it out in current job for a little while longer, unless my numbers come up on the lottery of course.  

Do you have a timeline for your future plans, am I the only one who finds it a little scary?

No comments:

Post a Comment