Monday 20 January 2014

Yoga Detox Day


Saturday I attended my first full day of yoga. It was a specific Detox Yoga Day run by my usual yoga teacher. It was run in a local village hall, which was not a bad venue as it goes, nice and warm with under floor heating and these lovely big windows.

I must admit I was a bit apprehensive, as the day was due to run from 10am to 5pm, which seems like a lot of yoga considering my normal class is only an hour. But once we got into the swing of things it was surprising how quickly the time ticked away. There was a good couple of hours of poses in the morning and afternoon with meditation at the start and end of each session. 

I couldn't tell you exactly what we did but there were a lot of twists and poses which target the kidneys and liver. The afternoon meditation was amazing, I don't think anyone managed to stay completely awake for the full session, it was so relaxing.
We were also given 90 mins for lunch which was also provided, a bright yellow homemade ghee with a tasty salad, and sugar free poached pears and yoghurt for after which was flavoured with grape juice and star anise, yum. She even gave us the recipe for the ghee, it was very tasty but due to it being a detox day was vegetarian, so if I was to give it a go at home I would probably serve it with some lamb.

Afterwards I was left feeling calm and relaxed but not sleepy, my body did ache a little on Sunday but it was  so worth it. I would definitely attend another one of these days.

Have you ever been to a yoga day retreat? 

No comments:

Post a Comment