Tuesday 25 February 2014

Intermediate Yoga

I love YOGA!! There I said it, I can't seem to get enough at the moment.

I started about 8 months ago with one class on a Monday, I then took on an extra class on a Wednesday about five months ago. Both were beginner classes but still tough enough to keep me interested. I have loved seeing how far I can push myself, week by week inching myself a little further into the bends and twists. Filling with joy and calm as my focus and balance poses improve. I have gone from fingertips brushing the floor in a forward bend, to standing on my palms!

I had always been aware of the intermediate class but never imagined I would ever feel confident enough to take the plunge. Until it was suggested to me by my instructor. When the person you look to for guidance gives you the thumbs up, it makes you wonder why you have been so apprehensive all this time. So I went for it, I gave up my Wednesday and joined in with the big kids on a Thursday.

I think I was expecting the class to be full of young bendy types, able to stand on their heads and hold a plank for hours on end, but I was wrong. At least I was pleasantly surprised, there were a variety of people, old and young, bendy and stiff all looking to improve and develop their practice. I know you shouldn't gauge yourself by others, but being the newbie I was pleased not to be the worst in the class, I know that sounds shallow but I only mean it in the respect that I felt I was where I needed to be, and wouldn't be struggling to keep up.

It has also inspired me to practice more at home, maybe not the mediation I find that nigh on impossible with the distractions of home. But definitely a few Sun Salutations and other poses I didn't quite nail in class.

Have you ever held yourself back, and then wondered why when you finally let go?

No comments:

Post a Comment